Grenade sounds

I have a couple shots in a film where someone pulls a pin from a grenade. The director told me that the sound I've created isn't quite right and that there is actually a sort of "spring" sound that goes off when one pulls the pin.

I've searched through my library and checked out soundsnap and freesound but I've come up with little results - so I have no idea what the sound is actually like (and hence, why I had created a sound that doesn't have a spring in it). I've also checked sound dogs and have come up with nothing "spring like."

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

-greg


I think "TING" might be what you are looking for... Metal ping, ting... lots of small metal hits with out the inital attack should get you there.
-Coll


There's two sounds happening there
. The lever release and the percussion cap plunger. Try spoons or the metal catches on an ammo box for the first. For the second try pinging the prongs of a dinner fork, or one click of a ratchet spanner,
or a spring loaded metal radio button.
-Andy


When a pin is pulled from a grenade, and the grenade leaves the hand, a sprung handle flips off which sets the timer going...maybe it's this that he's missing?
- Jerome


I've recorded such a sound (also for grenade) once using my finger-
ring and a key, finger-ring and a very short table mic standard and
finger-ring combined with other small metal things. The keys give it a
kind of raw feeling and the rest is more the clean metal ting. So the
fingerring worked out very well for me.
-Axel


Personally, I bought some grenades. Deactivated, unfortunately. :)
-Lee


I have a couple shots in a film where someone pulls a pin from a grenade. The director told me that the sound I've created isn't quite right and that there is actually a sort of "spring" sound that goes off when one pulls the pin.


Greg!
There really isn't - there is a spring under the "spoon" which is the mechanical safety lever - once that lever is removed or thrown after the grenade is released, the pyro fuse is ignited which then burns for approx 3 seconds (lowest bidder anyone?)

You might look at spring steel sorts of sounds to meet the directors expectations...

Do not try to educate him, because he knows the emotional effect he is going for.
- charles

Thread from Sound Design List May 2008